Tuesday, April 17, 2007

what have we done ... ?

.
As I think about Cho Seung-Hui and what his life must have been like, I cannot help remembering friends I left behind during my time as a "Navy brat"
... or "military gypsy"

I think one of the reasons I was not "most popular" was simply because of who were my friends.

My friends were few, but I had good friends - mostly other kids like myself who were "outsiders"
... newcomers or however we were viewed by the "locals"

Many of my friends were "other than white" and did not "fit in" for reasons other than being military kids, and some of my friends were locals who did not fit in.

We were all foreigners - in America, in the United States
... where most of us were born.

Life was torture for some of those kids.

If any of us would have "holed up" then it was more likely with some avocation, as in my case getting my novice ham operators license as WN6CJP (which turned out to be something I was not sure I wanted to "advertise"), whereas now, I have to wonder about the "killing fields" of video games kids are obsessed with, and what goes on in their minds as result of such activities which give them no "real world" experience whatsoever.

Certainly killing, murder, suicide, are nothing new to human experience, but what sort of feelings build up in individuals today who are so excluded from "mainstream" living ?

I think it not the fault of the Chos of this world as much as it is all of us having lost our humanity.

Cho is not an anomaly in my opinion when he is the creature of a society which manufactures his like.

For amusement.

What have we done to our children ?

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home